Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Silver Lining To My Hospital Stay

This past week has been interesting, to say the least. It all starts back about 2 weeks ago. I caught whatever bug was going around. Normal annoying symptoms-starting with the flu then seeming to progress into a really bad cold. I called the nurses station at Kaiser San Diego when I first got the temperature, and they gave me the information for pregnant treatment. I did everything they said to do. It didn't get better, so then I scheduled an appointment with my general practitioner. He gave me essentially the same information. I started noticing my weight dropping, and when I went into my prenatal appointment I had officially lost 5 pounds. Nobody seemed to worry much, but I kept telling everyone that I hadn't been able to keep any food or fluids down. Still no seem to worry. I told them that Thomas wasn't as active as he usually was. Still no cause for concern-they chalked that up to less room in there to squirm. I kept having that nagging feeling though.

Still, by Tuesday, I had no appetite, I'd lost 10 pounds, and I'd thrown up water one too many times. I called the triage nurse in San Diego one more time. At first they seemed apprehensive to even really listen to me. When I told her about the 10 pounds, she tried to correct me & say that it'd only been 5. I told her that since my Friday apt. I'd lost another 5 pounds. Finally, with a hint of aggravated annoyance in her voice, the nurse advised me to come to San Diego triage to be checked out.

Needless to say, I was severely dehydrated, and the baby's amniotic fluid was really low. I had elevated liver enzymes, which they could never figure out, a virus that needed antibiotics, and a myriad of other complications that needed to be addressed through medicine & obsvervation. I knew things weren't right, yet it wasn't until I really started making a stink that they listened to me.

Luckily Thomas was ok through it all, and after they hydrated me he started back to his usual self-flipping, kicking, squirming & generally being himself. They had to take a few ultrasounds, and he was his same ornery self! In fact, when the lab tech tried to get a good picture for me to keep, he kept throwing his arm up in front of the picture!

Finally on Saturday morning they told me that, although my liver enzymes are still high, they're going down. I was put on a thousand different meds for at home, and I'm still on high alert as far as exposure to anyone really goes. aka, no hugs & kisses from the kids and no baseball games for the next week :(

I was extremely lucky to have the help of Steve, my Aunt Diana, and my friend, Kathy. Without them, I don't think this week would have been able to happen. Finally, that age old question "what exactly do you do all day" was answered for Steve! His was sprinkled with 45 minute one way drives to the hospital, too, but he saw what a hectic lifestyle we have going on here. Not to say I'd ever want to repeat the week, but I think it was nice to get a little boost in appreciation from him for the work I put forth :)

On to my silver lining-I really got to spend some one on one time with this little peanut baking in here. I was monitored regularly, got many ultrasounds, and once I started feeling better, was able to focus on my pregnancy and what it's like. Knowing that this is my last pregnancy, to be able to have that opportunity to enjoy the little movements, and that time that is secret & special to the two of us. Don't get me wrong-I'm totally ready to pop this little guy out, but I appreciate the kicks, squirms, and hickups too!

I'm including the picture that the lab tech was finally able to get. It was so different seeing Thomas' face so personally-those 20 week scans all look basically the same. I want to say thank you to everyone who was praying for us during the time, and tell you that we really appreciated all the support we got during my stay there.

I'd say I'm 90% back to myself-which is good, because these next few weeks are going to be HECTIC w/baseball, school ending, and a special little girl's 8th birthday!


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I raised a stubborn daughter who doesn't just take everyone's word for it and pushes ahead to find out what is wrong! I'm glad you are feeling better, and I love the picture!

    I love you like crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy...I was so worried as I kept reading this post but I'm so glad to see you're better. You're almost there and I can't wait to see some pictures of your little guy. Take care and rest up!

    ReplyDelete